Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Blog Post #14

1. Why did you miss the metaphor in Tom Johnson's post, or, if you "hit the nail on the head", why do you think you understood the metaphor and why do you think that others in the class missed the metaphor?
     I completely missed the metaphor in Tom Johnson's post mainly because I just wasn't paying attention. If I would have put into consideration that we are in a class built around technology, then I probably would have noticed that the pencils were actually the computers. That really explains why I was so confused when reading the post. I didn't really understand what the problem was with the principal getting mad about pencils. I do remember for a second thinking maybe it had to do with something else, but computers never clicked in my head. It all makes sense now, and I do think taking computers home seem scary and tricky but it can help the students. Suprisingly enough not all students have a computer at home, so if they can take them home then they can continue learning about technology.


2. What metaphors have you encountered since I asked you to create a log of them?
      These are some that I have heard lately-  "You are my sunshine", "I'm so hungry I might eat my arm off", "I look like trash", "I'm so tired, I am going to roll over and die", "She's poison", "it's like a zoo in here", "I would walk a mile on broken glass to fall at your feet." "She's shaped like a bottle", "I just ate a cow". These are just a few of the metaphors that we have all heard at least one time. I heard a lot in songs, actually that's pretty much all songs are is a bunch of metaphors. This post would be a mile long if I wrote down every metaphor I have heard in music recently. We hear metaphors all day everyday, we just don't always realize that they are matephors.

3. What other things can we do as educators to help our students to understand and to use metaphors?
       Well for starters, I think I need to start off with myself making sure I can recognize metaphors. I should have been able to target that metaphor when reading it, but I didn't have an open mind when I was doing the assignment. I had a one track mind and that was read the post and respond. As educators we can start by giving fun examples to students to help them understand what exactly they are. I remember learning metaphors with a cut and dry example and that was the rule for it and what was in the book. I remember learning the difference between similies and metaphors and to notice words such as "like" in between the words. It obviously didn't help too much, because I completely missed it. Kids always remember things when they have done activities with them and the lesson is made fun! Not just with metaphors, but with everything we teach our students, there needs to be fun involved.
4. Why do we use metaphors?
       We use metaphors as a way of comparing something and an exaggeration. Metaphors are also used to be humerous, because you will compare your hunger to eating a cow. I know I have said lots of metaphors that have made people laugh because they are so over exaggerated. They can be used to be serious, poets always use metaphors and compare them to serious things such as the world, sun, moon. They are also very mysterious, and are used to keep the reader confused about what exactly the story is about.

I really enjoyd this post, because it has made me have an open mind when reading or listening to things to see if metaphors are there. Metaphors can make a story have a complete other meaning if we don't pay attention to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment