Sunday, April 24, 2011

C4K #7-10

C4K #7:
   For C4K #7 I was assigned to a post called "Haikus and History" on Mr. McClung's class blog. He had a history lesson on the Trail of Tears and had the students make haikus about the Trail of Tears from what they learned. He posted some of the student's work on the post. On this post it gave a brief history of the Trail of Tears and what exactly happened along with a picture. Mr. McClung then showed some of the student's haikus. The haikus were only a few sentences long, but got the point across of what happened in the Trail of Tears. I was so impressed with Mr. McClung's class blog and his students; he really knows what he's doing with his students!

C4K#8:
   For C4K #8 I was assigned to Mrs. Pike's classblog for Year 6 at Epping Heights. I was assigned to the student Cohen, but when I went back to look over it again I couldn't access his blog. I looked over the rest of the blog and left a comment. The students were learning about the rainforest at the beggining of April and they made this thing on "photopeach" with pictures of them doing tasks that have to deal with rainforests. They picture show would have pictures of the student's art work, blogging, workin together in the class, and other activities that go along with rainforest. I am going to go look up this photopeach, because I thought it was a really cool way to display your pictures!

C4K #9
   For C4K #9 we were assigned to Mrs. Yollis's class blog for our assignment. Mrs. Yollis reminded me alot of Mr. McClung, because they both have their students really involved in blogging. All of the students had great blogs that were very detailed and all correct spelling, of course! We watched the video on blogging and if I didn't know how to use blogs, the video would have been very helpful in how to blog. It was helpful to watch the video anyways though, because we learned how she likes for people to leave comments on their post. I never really payed attention that on firefox it shows you when your misspelling a word. I guess I never noticed the difference compared to what internet explorer does. I looked through the blog and I read one of the posts about copyrighting and she did a really good job of using an example of the student's art work with other people's names on it. The children were in the picture with mad faces because their art work had someone else's name on it. I just thought it was a great example that it's not okay to copy someone else's work. I also like the HTML code post, it was really helpful because I have a really hard time with the HTML codes. I always manage to break the code and it won't let me post. I can't ever figure out what I am doing wrong. She asked us if we thought blogging has an effect on your writing skills? I think it helps the students use their writing skills, because if their teacher requires it to all be correct then they are getting practice. The students don't have to write essays to get practice and prove they know their grammatical "rules". They can use their blogs to show their teachers they know the information. I know that I pay attention to it, especially on her blog. I made sure I was spelling everything right, because as future teachers we should be modeling correct spelling and pronuciation.

C4K #10-
   For C4K # 10 I was assigned to Miriam, one of Mrs. Yollis's students. The post I read was about her going to the Farmers Market and getting to try all of the fruits that were native to the island. They got a chance to cut open and try all of the different fruits, I wish I could do that with every food. I always say that I wish I could just try everything on the menu. On Miriam's post she listed numerous fruits with a picture and descriptions. She really knew a lot of information about all of the fruits she tried and had great pictures to go along with them. She had a picture of a star fruit and I think that one would be my favorite, because when you cut the fruit it is in the shape of a star. Miriam said that the star fruit was her favorite, because of it's shape and it was really sweet. The island really has some interesting looking fruit to eat, some of it I would have never throught it was a fruit, because it looked more like a flower.  The only fruit I had heard of or tasted was the avacoda. Miriam's post was probably the most detailed and well layed out blog I have looked at. When I first looked at the post I thought it was just talking about one fruit, but I scrolled down and there was at least ten more fruits that she wrote about.

I really enjoyed doing the C4K this semester, it's great to talk to people around the world, especially young students. When I become a teacher, I am going to try to get my students started with blogging. It might be hard if the computer access is limited, but I will work with what I have! I am really excited, because I know that blogging and technology is such an awesome tool in the classroom. There's so much to learn and now we can talk to other students and teachers around the world to learn even more. I think students blogging with other students around the world makes it exciting to learn for them. I know I would get so excited to be able to talk to other students in another country. Thanks for this oppurtunity!                                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment