Friday, February 4, 2011

Blog Post #3

A Vision of Students Today: This video relates to my college experience perfectly. College is overwhelming when most of us are used to sitting in a class of thirty and then we walk into a class of a hundred. There wasn't anything on those notes they held up that doesn't relate to me. We are expected to spend so much money on books and it's so aggravating when the teacher never even requires us to open it up.
   I will also have to agree that if I have a laptop in class, I'm most likely going to be on facebook or another website not related to class. I'm not sure if this video is saying that technology is not necessarily a good thing, because anything to do with technology was saying we spend a lot of our time on it compared to school. I'm not sure if I can add anything else to this video, because it really covers anything I would have to complain or say about college.Thanks for this video, I really enjoyed it :).
It's not about technology: This blog post was about how we don't necessarily need technology in the classroom to better educate children, it's about the teacher. I think that Mrs. Hines is so right, because teachers need to be able to teach along with the technology they are given in the classroom. A successful day should be the product of a productive day of learning in the classroom!
"I equate teaching and learning to a basic physics principle. If an object does not move, no matter how much force has been applied, no work has been done." This statement is so true and it really stuck out more then anything in the post. Teachers always blame it on the student if they aren't learning, but never sit back and look at themselves.
Is it okay to be technology illiterate? This post makes me look at technology in a different way now. It's crazy how someone's thoughts on an issue can change your opinion on a subject. Everyone should be technologically literate in the 21st century, because technology is pretty much the basis of everything we do. In almost any job field, you must know how to use a computer.
I have never thought about how it's okay to say "we aren't good at math" but we can't say "we aren't good at reading." People would think we were crazy if we said we didn't know how to read. It shouldn't be okay to be bad at math or any other subject.

Social Media Count 
This site was UNREAL!  I can not believe how social media counts go on within just thirty seconds. People are literally just obsessed with technology and being updated on social networks. There is no such thing as privacy anymore if you have anything to do with social networks. It's like the world is constantly moving and changing right before your eyes on this website.
  This just goes to show that teachers need to continue learning for themselves, because the world around us is changing. Technology is taking over and I often wonder what it's going to be like by the time my children are in schools.
The other videos were really funny and very true. I liked all the newspaper comics about technology!!

1 comment:

  1. Great use of links Ashley! Be sure to add a picture to every post from here on out-- it really helps people become interested in your blog at a glance.

    What can you do to enhance your college experience? I hate to hear that some of your classes seem to be so disappointing! I struggle with this too sometimes, but I am trying out a few different ways to make a change. Do you have any ideas? After all, we are paying for it!

    "I equate teaching and learning to a basic physics principle. If an object does not move, no matter how much force has been applied, no work has been done." Thank you so much for pulling this quote-- I too think it captures the essence of a productive or stagnant learning atmosphere.

    After reading this weeks post, I have to say that you are definitely an energetic writer-- your enthusiasm and excitement blares across the page. Keep it up, and be sure to really wrestle with the ideas that are presented in each video!

    ReplyDelete