Friday, February 11, 2011

Blog Post 4

Don't teach your kids this.
This blog was very interesting and confusing. I had to read over it a couple of times and read over other students posts to get a full understanding. My thoughts at first were that, wow this guy really hates technology! I see now, that he is just opening our eyes to see that technology is in face dangerous, but we need to do something about it.
   I think parents should take more effort to protect what their children can view on the internet. Children that are giving a computer or cellphone have full access to things unimaginable. Dr. McLeod is an associate professor in the Educational Program at Iowa State University and the Director of the Center for thr Advanced Study of Technology Leadership in Education. He has been awareded many awards for his excellence in education in levels K-12.
The ischool.
I can't believe a student in high school made this video. It was very inspiring to make someone want to go to "ischool." I like it and I don't like it. I like it because it saves money in the school system and we definietly  need money in the school system. Maybe if this took place, we could have more funds to go towards more teachers and other activities in the schools. Ischool can help save the enviroment, save more trees. Just in Mobile alone, it's unreal much woodlands are gone and neighborhoods are taken over. I can't imagine how this looks for people who are much older.
   At first, I thought he meant just to cut out schools completely and use the ischool for school. I know technology is great, but I hope it doesn't one day completely take over the classroom. Children need to be in classrooms and be around other students, so they can have social skills. Very interesting video, thanks for sharing it with us!
Lost Generation
Wow, this video was awesome!! Our generation is going to be a lost generation if we don't do something about it. Even compared to my parents generation, she is always saying my generation just doesn't care about anything. Which is true, not very many people have morals or care about what's right anymore. I like how the script reversed and made it a positive outlook on the next generation. This was a really inspiring video that I think everyone in our generation should watch.
Choir
OH MY GOODNESS! This video is unbelievable, literally I couldn't believe what I was watching the entire time. This takes talent on both the instructor and the members of the choir to be able to perform something so beautiful. I can't believe technology has brought us to this. I'm going to show this video to everyone today, because I am in shock at how wonderful it is
Teaching in the classroom
This video confused me at first, because I wasn't sure if it was saying technology was good or bad. I got the understanding that this video was saying if internet access is going to take over our children's knowledge, then we need to teach them how to use it. If students are going to learn from the internet then they do need to know to use it correctly. If children aren't taught about plagirism and copyright, all of their work can be just someones work with no real learning.
We as teachers need to take advantage of the internet and learn how to use it ourselves, then teach our students. There is no running away from technology, it's here to stay so we need to take advantage of what we've been given.

1 comment:

  1. What do you think about the changes in teaching that the author of Teaching in the 21st Century says are necessary? Do you think that you are prepared to be that kind of teacher.

    You were surprised by the nature of Dr. McLeod's writing. Read Bailey Hammond's Blog Post #4. She does an outstanding job of explaining the many layers of meaning that can be found in Dr. McLeod's post.

    ReplyDelete